Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Eat, Live, Pray


I have started my "smart" reading for this year off with a bang. This charming book has made it a smooth transition from smutt to smart..let me explain.

I have some strange ideas about silly reading versus smart reading. Books that make me think and punch out the sides of my proverbial box are considered "smart reading" as apposed to romance novels and the like that are just fluff and for fun, great they are, but they do not make me ponder lifes questions.

Each year during the summer months I fill my head with fanciful stories from swashbuckling pirates to ladies in distress..by reading historical type romance novels. Among my favorite authors are Nora Roberts, Jude Deveraux, Julia Quinn and Hannah Howell. I like to think that I transport myself on vacations of sorts. Then in the Fall when school begins again I revert to my so called "smart books" and try and read current novels that may come up in discussion at a dinner party, in a local coffee or may invoke a question from a fellow bus rider.

The first of my books this fall is Eat, Pray, Love a book recommended by a lovely lady I went to school with. It follows a strong womens adventure to Italy, India and Indoniesia to find herself. It's very well written, witty and easy to follow. I found myself almost immediatly at bat for the books main character, Elizabeth. I am almost done the novel now and I am looking forward to seeing how she does! I was refreshed by her open attitude and the raw vulnerability she so vividly displays throughout the book! Good for her for taking the leap most of us only dream of.

I would recommend this book to anyone! It's a definate page turner and implores you to live life in the now and search for yourself, your true self, amongst all the nitty gritty that life throws at you!

Take care of yourself and each other,

E

0 comments: